Sports betting is growing fast in Australia, with thousands of bets placed every day. In this guide, we’ll walk AU bettors through the basics of sports betting, from real money bets to strategies for every sport. We also promise to also give fair and honest reviews for online betting sites, teams and betting systems. More so, we’ll give you step by step guides to placing the right gambles at the right time with fully explained betting lingo.
Top 10 Sports Betting Sites in Australia
Of course, you’ll need to watch the match or find the results when the time comes. As it so happens, Australia has the best sports coverage through traditional television and live streaming online. What this means for bettors and sports fans is 24-hour coverage every day of the year. Most sportsbooks also offer their coverage of the game in real-time. So, check out our trusted and reviewed online betting sites below to get started.
Is online sports betting legal?
In 2018, an amendment to the Interactive Gambling Act made it possible for AU gamblers to bet legally through bookmakers online. However, the sportsbook must be registered, licensed and regulated in Australia. What’s more, they must follow individual state laws and pay taxes accordingly. On the bright side, all of our top listed sites follow these laws to the letter. So, there’s nothing for Aussies to worry about while placing bets and collecting winnings.
How to Choose an AU Online Betting Site
When deciding where to bet, it’s important to consider what the online gambling site offers its players. For many Aussies, the only requirement is being able to bet. However, this can be damaging, both legally and for your wallet. At BestAUBettingSites, we usually inspect five aspects while reviewing online sportsbooks.
- Legality – first, you have to ensure that the site is legally allowed to take bets in your state (and pays taxes). So, any site licensed in Northern Territory will have to be approved in Queensland, etc.
- Safety & Security – before signing up, we recommend checking the security certificate of the site for encryption. If a site is encrypted, your money will be protected.
- Best Odds – when all the legal stuff is out the way, the next requirement is great odds. When it comes to online betting, higher odds are the best part. You’ll need to do a little research on this one.
- Variety of Sports – where there’s great odds, there’s great sports. Any bookmaker worth their salt will offer bets on every sport available to Aussies. More sports also means more bets, so it’s a win win situation.
- Sports Betting Bonus Offers – most importantly, there should be a bonus for your first deposit at a betting site. We generally expect this at any online gambling site, so bookmakers are no exception.
Types of Sports Gambling
When betting online, it’s vital to know which sports are covered by bookmakers. In Australia, this will be the most popular sports nationally. On the other hand, some online sportsbooks may also offer international sports as well. This range of betting options adds a lot of excitement to real money online betting. After all, more sports means more chances of winning big. Look out for these top sports on your favourite bookie’s website. Here’s a full list of the commonly offered sports for Australians:
- Australian Football League
- Online eSports betting
- Horse racing markets
- Greyhound race betting
How to Bet on Sports for Fun & Profit
Now that we’ve got all the boring stuff out of the way, it’s time to take a look at actually betting money. Just like playing sports properly, there’s a technique to placing wagers online. More importantly, you’ll need to know how to pick the right bets. And so, we’ve outlined the basics for Australian bettors below with these betting tips.
How to Read Australian Betting Odds
Firstly, we need to discuss probabilities and how they are represented by sportsbooks. Most Australian online betting sites will use betting lines to represent the odds. These vary from site to site, and depend on the wager offered. Still, we have to advise on opening and closing odds first, because these determine a betting payout. Opening odds are the first lines offered on a match, while closing chances will reflect the overall statistics. Checking your game fixtures and initial bet is important to ensure your winnings are what you expect.
- Moneyline Chances – these are the most popular odds for American and international sportsbooks.
- Decimal Betting Lines – most bookmakers will offer decimals for the overall head-to-head. In this case, a lower decimal is also the favourite to win. When calculating a payout, it’s vital to keep these decimals in mind for expected value (EV).
- Fractional Odds – in online betting, fractional odds are the most direct and easy to understand. These will usually show a larger number divided by a smaller number, e.g. 9/1, 8/5, 21/6, etc. Usually, these will be fixed odds when betting markets close.
How Sports Betting Odds Work
The odds offered for online sports betting are used to estimate the overall profit of a bet. In Australia, a sportsbook will offer odds that favour the team or player with a better track record. However, setting these odds and updating them depends entirely on performance. Betting lines will change constantly before and during the game according to the probability of a win, bonus bets or a tie.
This is similar to Poker in a way, because some teams will have a good run and then falter. The same goes for a team that has a bad run and suddenly performs better. Since online gambling is based on chance and luck, these events make predictions difficult. Still, it’s possible to win legally if you’re only making an educated guess on a winning margin.
How to Calculate Online Betting Payouts
When determining your payout, we recommend checking the odds and offers constantly. If you make specific bets, it’s highly likely that your chances of winning are low. Of course, Aussie professional sports are known for surprises. To calculate your eventual winnings, we’ve made a basic overview of the odds we mentioned before.
- Moneyline Odds – these are the most popular odds for international sportsbooks. A good example is a moneyline of +150 or -150 for two teams because the team with a negative line is likely to win. These odds will usually be combined with decimals for Aussie punters.
- Decimal Odds –When calculating a payout, it’s vital to keep these decimals in mind for expected value (EV). To calculate the EV, you can use the odds for the two teams multiplied by the probability.
- Fractional Probabilities –In these cases, a payout will use the larger number multiplied by your bet and then divide by the smaller. In effect, betting AU$5 with odds of 9/1 will pay out AU$45 for a win.
Best Online Sports Betting Tips for Aussies
- Always gamble responsibly when betting online and never use insider information.
- Keep track of every bet and deposit for money management.
- Only use 10% of your overall budget for a single bet to conserve your bankroll.
- Use promotions offers sparingly, especially when the terms and conditions aren’t specific.
- Follow all bonus terms before trying to cash out.
- A free bet offer is usually not worth real money.
- Pick your own odds carefully.
Real Money Sports Betting Deposits
While free bets are fun, winning real money from sports betting is far more rewarding. When making real money bets, it’s good to have a few deposit options to choose from. These should also be available when wagers pay out. At Australian sportsbooks, there are a few trusted payment options we recommend.
- Debit & Credit Cards
Australian Sports Gambling FAQs
- Where can I find out how to open a betting account online?
Why, right here of course. We’ve listed the top rated bookmakers in Australia, and they all have an easy
sign up process. Just follow our steps for how to open a betting account below:
- Choose a sportsbook.
- Click ‘sign up’ and supply your details.
- Verify the account once you’ve completed their steps.
- Make a deposit.
- Start betting on sports.
- Is sports betting rigged?
- Sometimes, yes. However, this depends entirely on the type of site you choose to use. For many Australians, spotting a bad betting site can be difficult.
So, we recommend checking their credentials before signing up or putting money on the line. We recommend using licensed sites listed on our site because we’ve verified
their security and legality. Bad sites will usually mistreat bettors by withholding funds, cancelling bets or offering false odds. Always double check the facts and their bookmaker card.
- What does over under mean in sports betting?
- Generally, a bookmaker’s odds compiler (or trader) works out the probabilities and then sets the betting lines for the outcomes.
These are verified multiple times for punters before being posted.
- How does sports spread betting work?
- A spread in sports betting is a great way for gamblers to hedge their bets by betting on both teams.
Commonly referred to as a point spread, this option depends on the accuracy of your guess instead of a win or loss.
Punters bet on the score and performance for a match when placing a point spread bet..
- What is the line in sports betting?
- Line betting is a form of handicapping, where a bookie will set a winning margin. Keep in mind that line
betting is only used for events with two likely outcomes.
- Can you make a living off sports betting?
- Yes, you can by trying to be a ‘sharp’ bettor. Sharp gamblers make long-term bets and expect to win thousands. Learning to spot betting trends and make wagers accordingly as a skill.
But, most sportsbooks don’t encourage this because they prefer recreational bettors who expect to lose.
There’s nothing wrong with sharp bets, but they could land Australians in trouble.
Many bookmakers also expect their bettors to follow ‘codes of practice’, usually hidden in the terms and conditions.