Spanish Virtual GP Highlights: George Russell Takes the Win
During the pandemic, Formula 1 is still going with digital races on the popular F1 2019 game. This Sunday’s Spanish Virtual GP is the latest instalment in the series, showcasing F1 drivers against other professional sports stars and gamers in the mix. Overall winner George Russell managed to get the win and keep Charles Leclerc busy for most of the race.
While commentator Anthony Davidson managed to crack the top ten for the first time, Lando Norris dropped out and took last place. Meanwhile, YouTube star Jimmy Broadbent managed a respectable 11th place. This hard-fought race was fun to watch for anyone missing traditional sports. So, what happened?
Spanish Virtual GP Highlights
After qualifying in pole position, George Russell duked it out with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, landing in the fifth position at a stage as Leclerc overtook him. By lap 20, George Russell clocked in the fastest lap of the race and closed in rapidly.
Five laps later, he overtook the Monegasque but got a three-second penalty for track infractions. If Leclerc had just kept within three seconds of the Williams, he might have won. But, he earned a three-second penalty with just a lap to go, and Russell cruised to first place in the Spanish Virtual GP.
Here’s the final rankings:
- George Russell (F2 Driver)
- Charles Leclerc (F1 Driver)
- Esteban Gutierrez (F1 Test Driver)
- Alex Albon (F1 Driver)
- Nicholas Latifi (F1 Driver)
- Anthony Davidson (F1 Commentator)
- Antonio Giovinazzi (F1 Driver)
- Pietro Fittipaldi (F1 Driver)
- Antonio Fuoco (F1 Test Driver)
- Max Fewtrell (F3 Driver)
Next Virtual Grand Prix Dates
Since the Virtual Grand Prix is running on the original race schedule, fans will have to wait until 24 May for the Virtual Monaco GP. Then, it’s another two weeks until the Virtual Azerbaijan GP. In the meantime, YouTuber Jimmy Broadbent plays F1 2019 almost daily as he practices for the races.
There are a few other motorsports and esports matches to follow as well. So, keep visiting our site for updates!
- Midnite Joins Esports Integrity Commission as Anti-Corruption Supporter
- Alex Albon wins First Virtual GP Title by Overtaking Charles Leclerc
- Valorant Beta Drops Cause Twitch Ban on 24/7 Replay Streams
- Pro Gaming Industry Sets Viewership Records During Global Pandemic
- First-Ever Call of Duty Mobile eSports Tournament Qualifiers Starts on 30 April